Thanks for becoming a regular reader of my blog--I'm excited about it. Last night I saw a commerical for a special on ABC called "The Last Lecture: A Love Story for Your Life" with Randy Pausch. It was about a man who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, one of if not the worse cancer, and only was given 3-6 months to live. This particular special was 3 seperate interviews with him done by Diane Sawyer over the last few months. I don't say this very often but watching this one hour special was life-changing!I had first seen this man on Oprah a few months ago and remembered being impressed by him then but didn't really think any more about it. Last night, what impressed me the most was his ability, and his wife's ability to accept the fate they'd be given and to enjoy life everyday, absolutely to the fullest. People like Randy and his wife have always amazed me, much as women who have had multiple children and are still thinner then me! His positive attitude and willingness to share his s
tory and change lives is just amazing. I'm not sure that I would be like that if I found out I only had 3-6 months to live. One thing that he said that really stuck out in my mind is when Diane Sawyer asked him if he thought it was unfair that he had gotten this cancer. His response (and i'm para-phrasing here) was that he didn't think it was unfair at all. Just unlucky. He said we are all up on a dart board and his spot just happened to be the one that got hit this time. He said, it wasn't unfair because it could have happened to anybody, just unlucky. I am going to go buy this book and I will write about it while I"m reading it. I highly recommend you read about this man and even watch part of his last lecture--truly fascinating.
tory and change lives is just amazing. I'm not sure that I would be like that if I found out I only had 3-6 months to live. One thing that he said that really stuck out in my mind is when Diane Sawyer asked him if he thought it was unfair that he had gotten this cancer. His response (and i'm para-phrasing here) was that he didn't think it was unfair at all. Just unlucky. He said we are all up on a dart board and his spot just happened to be the one that got hit this time. He said, it wasn't unfair because it could have happened to anybody, just unlucky. I am going to go buy this book and I will write about it while I"m reading it. I highly recommend you read about this man and even watch part of his last lecture--truly fascinating. The reason I even write about this is because there are a lot of changes happening in my life right now and although they are scary and exciting at the same time, I really shouldn't complain about them because at least I am healthy and I'm not having to deal with things like that. Its really all relative. I think big changes are moving, having to drive a different way to work, having to change my address on my magazine subscriptions, etc. While they seem big to me, to someone diagnosed with cancer, probably not so big! Nonetheless, I look forward to my changes ahead and I hope I can have a more positive attitude going forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment